Saturday, April 6, 2024

Bogeyman

Bogeyman                                                                                         
 
Forgive me, Lord, for refusing to forsake myself.
I’m just trying to protect (as You well know)
 
a child from being crushed by the darkness;
keeping at bay the bogeyman from under the bed.
 
I believe You (with all my faithless heart),
when You say that it’s only a dream –
 
still, my childish dreaming goes on.
I can’t shake myself awake.
 
That will take my Father’s hand, I suppose. 
Ask for nothing, You say. 
 
So, obediently, my lips are sealed
but my heart (with which I seem to have no truck), 
 
is ever begging You for comfort and release.
A child who has been forsaken by everyone he trusted
 
(who, one and all, turned out to be merely human)
(especially me), so I turn to the One
 
who says He’s above and beyond the human;
who says He is indeed my one true Friend.
 
O child of God, God is the child, the bogeyman,
the dreamer and the dream.  There’s no one else to turn to.




No comments:

Post a Comment