Saturday, October 10, 2015

Of Thy peace

Of Thy peace                                                                                           

Make me an instrument of Thy peace,
o Lord, Saint Francis requested.

I often feel like an instrument.  Not of peace, 
but chaos, incongruity, surreality, 

like a delicate, precision instrument
wrongly calibrated from the start;

a faulty circuit, perhaps, a cracked cog;
a sprung spring, a warped wheel

throwing me chronically awry;
failing to read and measure correctly

the world around me; out of balance,
forever teetering, up and down, up and down.

Hard to be happy with constant failures;
hard not to worry, to be peaceful

with the invariably failed readings
of my inadequate, roughly self-adjusting equipment.

O child of God, if it was easy, what a lazy,
complacent scoundrel you would be!

No comments:

Post a Comment