Sunday, July 22, 2018

Heaven bound

Heaven bound                                             

I suppose I’m heaven bound – if there is a heaven –
whether by effort or worthiness,

by longing or faith or by divine intervention.
Utter mortality I can vaguely imagine,

individual consciousness a bubble once burst
as if it never was, but I can’t quite fathom

a finite heaven, lost souls forever
hovering outside its gates. 

I can’t quite imagine an existence
in perpetual limbo – not a path

to somewhere, reward or not,
though I grant you, all things are possible

beyond the limits of my inadequate imaginings.
I can’t be wrong, of course, because

I don’t know enough to be wrong or right. 
So I wait, idly contemplate, sing and shudder

according to mood, hoping each will be
deemed an expression of surrender.

O child of God, you are some kind of heaven bound –
without knowing the least bit of truth about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment