Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Stone bearer

Stone bearer                                                                                             

Often I do not suffer fools lightly –
a great sin because there are

so many fools in the world,
especially those arrogant ones

who do not suffer fools lightly.
It’s difficult for me to embrace

my human family because I refuse
to set down the stones I bear in each fist.

Stone bearer, stone caster.  I chuck
those bruising missiles in thought and word

to relieve the weight of my own burden
but immediately find myself

picking up more, ever on the ready,
never letting it sink in that it is the weight

of those stones that keeps me yoked
and grounded to this dark, dark earth.

O child of God, where did you ever gather the notion
that compassion makes you vulnerable?


No comments:

Post a Comment