Saturday, October 10, 2015

Portrait

Portrait                                                                                                     

A charcoal portrait which represents me
as much as apparently anything else,

all down on paper in black and white;
stationary lines arc and wriggle,

twist and flow, crafting brows,
hairlines and facial features.

I’m the empty space, I suppose,
sketchy, binary, insinuated;

formed and shaped
by shades of black and gray.

The black is my ignorance – 
overwhelming; peripheral; defining.

The white is my emptiness
at center stage, the light’s facsimile.

I become visible where there is nothing,
allowing the backdrop to seep through.

Having mislocated myself, I cleave desperately
to the ignorance that appears to define me.

O child of God, why not lose yourself
in the vast benevolence of God?


(drawing by Rich Panico)

No comments:

Post a Comment