Saturday, October 18, 2014

A stretch of silence

 A stretch of silence                                                                                

You and I share a room.  I come and go while You remain.
Like sprays of flowers, You add Your silence,

Your darkling mystery, a pinch of unbearable love. 
I add my aching fear, my infidelity and indifference –

continually drawn to the door, darting in and out.  
(There’s always a parade downtown

with a carnival on the outskirts.)
But, also, I’m afraid to be alone with You;

able only to endure for a few moments
at a stretch Your beautiful, lonely silence,

Your seductive, foreign presence,
Your fragrant promise of peace and annihilation. 

O child of God, make Him your constant companion
by exploring  His real and constant presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment