Thursday, January 28, 2021

Heavy equipment

Heavy equipment                                                                    
 
There’s a vineyard within a graveyard;
a Tomb on a Hill built of discarded stones,
 
the bones of a man Who gave Himself
to a world that hurries past now; 
 
the wine from that vineyard, grown  
           in the mandali’s dust,
cinders and bones, intoxicates me.
 
I’ve never completely recovered
           my former sobriety.
I can’t be trusted to walk a straight line
           or operate heavy equipment!
 
I stepped out of the Tomb one morning
           onto uneven terrain.
I don’t know what to do when You strand me like this.
 
If You never come back, I’ll die here –
on the corner where You left me.
 
O child of God, if the Master never returns,
it’s just another way of His keeping His promise.


                               (from A Jewel in the Dust, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment