Monday, May 6, 2019

No real choice at all

No real choice at all                                                                                                     
So I end up in a small, unfamiliar room
alone, bound hand and foot, gagged,

strapped to a chair wedged into the corner.
Only my eyes are mobile.  I can look toward the bed

and long for a return to sleep
or I can view a turbulent, eventful world

through the windows and dream of escape.
Instead I shut my eyes and adjust

to my helplessness as best I might.
My mind still roams, if I let it, rampantly free

through those windows and beyond.
I might amuse myself for a while longer

with imagination but even that
soon will start to jade and sate.

So I must learn to climb down, climb down –
off the backs of random thoughts and hope,

of negativity and insecurity, let them gallop on
without me across the titillating dreamscape;

accept my bondage, my impotence as my due;
trust unreservedly to God’s mercy and ultimate benevolence.

O child of God, even the very last choice
you make is no real choice at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment