Monday, March 2, 2020

This old vase

This old vase     
                                                                                         
Even through the faithless years, I’ve prayed, 
(in the tight spots) above the panic’s roar.

These days my prayers are a shared quietude,
a silent acquiescence not so much to God

but to my nature, the innumerable lifetimes
it will take to subdue it.  Asking forgiveness,

all the while believing everything is ordained and necessary.
This old vase won’t hold water, cracks of fear

and well worn desire, all the habitual reasons
for turning away from the truth of God’s existence

to the provisional comforts of my own.
Pure praise, said my Lord, is the best prayer.

But when I can’t pluck up the courage,
muster enough sincerity then I’m left with

displaying the raw vitals of myself,
as much as I dare, for both of us to view,

using Meher’s example of silence
to ask for nothing and receive my wincing due.

O child of God, live so that
your every breath becomes a prayer.




No comments:

Post a Comment