Saturday, January 19, 2019

In hushed gratitude

In hushed gratitude                                                                                   

I had no deep relationship with the mandali –
not like I had with my grandparents,

my mother and father, aunts and uncles
who have now for the most part passed on.

To be a good human being, I’ve learned,
is a great and difficult thing.

I aspire to be like those I love.
If I ever reach their level,

I might look for loftier souls to emulate.
If I had them with me again

I’d embrace each one in hushed gratitude,
then send their humble souls on their way

so much farther down the road than me,
toward that high, sweet mansion on the hill.

O child of God, the blessings you have received
in this lifetime grow more evident every day.



No comments:

Post a Comment