Saturday, May 16, 2020

The next rising phenomenon

The next rising phenomenon                                                                        

Everything comes from nothing and goes back.
From nowhere, anger, for instance, appears

and briefly I claim it.  I am anger until it fades
and I become whatever next appears.

So it is with all experience.  It rises, I identify with it;
it fades and I latch onto the next rising phenomenon.

Even physical existence apparently comes and goes this way –
comes from nothing each moment and each moment returns

creating the illusion of continuity and substance.
And in all of this coming and going,

where is there room for I, me, my and mine?
Everything comes from nothing and goes back.

Attaching myself to this procession of experiences,
I call that me.  I am that.  That is mine.

If I yell and shake my fist at God,
it is God shaking His fist at Himself,

my raised voice as meaningless and natural as thunder,
my shaking fist a tree branch in a brisk wind.

O child of God, in all of infinite existence
there is no room for the separate self.


No comments:

Post a Comment