Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Lukewarm water

Lukewarm water                                                                             

I once owned a tea set
of great delicacy and beauty.

Over the years, it became chipped,
stained, cracked and broken . . .

and there were episodes of destructive rage,
so that when You turned up at my door,

asking if You might trouble me
for a spot of tea,

all I had to offer,
in my extreme poverty,

was lukewarm water served in the cup of my palm.
You accepted my gift and I became Your slave.

O child of God, lament not your recklessness and ignorance.
Had you been prepared, His lips might never
          have touched your fingertips.

                        (from A Jewel in the Dust)








                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment