Saturday, March 12, 2016

Stray dog

Stray dog

For lifetimes I've turned up my nose
at the gift God offers as you do, also,

o pilgrim, if you're still on the move.
I'm coming back to it now -

late in life, having returned
from a journey around the world -

a stray dog sniffing the hand
of a stranger it dares not trust.

To search is to ignore what is already here,
at our feet, under our noses.

Serving two masters breaks the world in two.
This is the moment, every moment,

I receive God's gift - no other.
What I choose to allow myself

under the duress of other voices, other lifetimes,
is a rejection of the the only true gift

exchanged for an impure and imaginary,
duplicitous reward of my own making.

O child of God, Meher said,
I am your one true friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment