Saturday, May 26, 2012

Your damaan

Your damaan

O Lord, whatever it takes.  I am holding onto You.
Through rough treatment, barren patches,

through episodes of almost unendurable intimacy,
I am holding onto You.

You broke open this heart of mine
and with Your lovely hands planted a seed.

I can feel it now taking root in my chest.
One day it will pin me to the earth

and a huge, sheltering tree will grow.
Then I might be worth something.

It’s cracking me open now,
letting in joy and pain and a great love.

I have the hem of that great love in my hands.
I can only imagine the height and breadth of it in the dark.

Stumbling along, as You twist, tug and sway me –
my whole world has become this grip on Your damaan.

O child of God, don’t get lost.  Hold on to Your Beloved
          tightly and mightily.
Get into the rhythm of His long, holy strides.

                                   (from The Garden of Surrender, 2004)



No comments:

Post a Comment