Friday, March 20, 2020

Rawhide and bones

Rawhide and bones                                                                                    

My mind is at a gallop in a runaway herd of horses,
a stampede through the middle of town

having lured my unhitched steed along with them.
I leap into the saddle, seize the reins,

halt my mount at the edge of town
as the wild herd disappears in a cloud of dust.

One day, You promise, my old horse
will never leave the barn,

(innumerable lifetimes from now)
whittled down to rawhide and bones.

In the meantime my occupation,
my devotion, is to You, the holy part of me,

the true part, working patiently
to rope, break and hobble the feral steed.

O child of God, you are a child also
of Sunday school mornings and Saturday matinees.

No comments:

Post a Comment