Saturday, September 6, 2014

A new banner

A new banner                                                                                         

I hoist the flag – salute my sovereignty,
my authority, establish my boundaries,

determine which way the wind blows.
Tattered, under sun and weather,

it’s blanched over the years into white,
the colors I cling to less and less relevant,

the governing body for which it stands
having picked up and moved to another shore.

This daily ritual is a mere adherence
to the only allegiance I’ve ever known,

containing in its discrepancies a freedom
only dreamed of, read about in books.

It’s a ceremony I’m only true to
because there’s nothing else to do

until my liberator arrives and we haul down
the flag together; reverently fold, put it away forever.

I’ll gather my things and follow Him
under a new banner into the great unknown. 

O child of God, Meher says the journey  
is from the bottom red stripe to the top pale blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment