Tuesday, June 30, 2020

The paling of my enclosure

The paling of my enclosure                                                                        

It’s hard to get to know another. 
We rarely see more than the bars of their cage.

Hard for me to show myself, as I pace and roar,
only dimly aware of my own captivity,

yet ever conscious of my vulnerability,
letting not others near enough

to see between the paling of my enclosure.
What we fear and detest in others

is not the poor ensnared creature within
but the barrier erected to keep others out.

Add to that our own defenses and a double bind exists
that each heart’s lament rarely penetrates.

One of the difficulties in breaking from our cage,
even in our staunchest resolve,

is that in our exposure we encounter still
the repellent bars of other cages

which sends us scurrying back
to the safety and sanctimony of our own.

O child of God, the Avatar comes along,
an assortment of keys jangling from His belt.



No comments:

Post a Comment