Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Giving myself up for dead

Giving myself up for dead                                                                       

I got myself lost in the back country,
romping out of the barn on a jet black horse

just as day broke.  Rode wild and loose
for a long ways.  Lost my bearings.

I’ve nosed my old horse around ever since
studying every bleached-boned hint of a trail,

every wagon rut, dry gulch
cattle run that might lead home. 

At last I stumbled upon
an old ghost of a prospector

who advised me to drop the reins.
Let that tired, hungry horse under me

find its own way back to the stable.
I might not like the route or ride it takes,

but return, the old man said,
by giving myself up for dead;

by dropping all pride and purpose,
false hope, shallow expertise

to surrender completely,
beyond any intent or desire.

O child of God, not a trace of resistance!
Surrender tolerates no dishonesty.


No comments:

Post a Comment