Sunday, July 11, 2021

My entirety

My entirety                                                                                                      
 
I put together in my youth a jigsaw puzzle
though its image never quite coalesced,
 
having moved the incongruent pieces off
to the precarious, dream-tinged edges,
 
afraid to examine their contradictions.
But in a late quest to get the one true picture,
 
I’ve learned to welcome them back –
the awkward and mismatched,
 
the ironies, improbabilities and jumbles,
no longer trying to fit them snugly into place,
 
no longer taking them as proof of my inadequacy
nor the untrustworthiness of my universe
 
but as evidence of the wondrous inscrutability of creation,
the quirky, impenetrable puzzle of my entirety,
 
the ultimate mystery to which I must attend,
yielding, in obeisance, every alienating objection.
 
O child of God, to move nearer to your Father,
seek contentedness within the enigma.

No comments:

Post a Comment