Friday, January 31, 2020

Your welcome mat

Your welcome mat

I beat my fists against Your door
until they were bruised and swollen.

I threw myself at it
until I collapsed on Your welcome mat.

Sometime in the night, You carried me inside.
Coddled me a bit before tossing me back out.

If exhaustion and desperation were sure methods
I would use them at every opportunity,

but often they bring not a sound,
not a flicker of light from Your dark house.

Other times, when I least expect it,
I find myself at Your table with wine and bread;

the path to Your house strewn with petals
from a thousand discarded garlands.

Some say I hold the key to Your door.
If so, I give it back to You, Lord.

I want to stand helpless before it,
appealing only to Your mercy.

I want Love to open that door.
I want that door to open upon a child, a lover,
          a humble slave.

O child of God, your Beloved determines the rules
          of the game.
Let your opening gambit be to stand before His door
          and knock.

                            (from The Garden of Surrender, 2004)



No comments:

Post a Comment