Saturday, April 27, 2013

Lighting a candle

Lighting a candle                                                                                     

I saw the Friend shining in your eyes.
Beheld by His kindness,

my heart and body remembered
the holy companionship

my mind had worn out and misplaced.
I heard my silent Master in your throat –

voice and laughter – stepping daintily,
for a few moments outside time’s flow.

I felt the touch of the Friend
in the softness of your eyes;

His unwavering good spirits
in the cup of your smile.

Anew, I experienced
the awe and reverence

I had frittered away over the years –
(down to the last scraps and tittles) –

recouped by the posture and demeanor
of your body humbly kneeling before His chair.

Lighting a candle with a candle
in the heart of this late autumn evening.

O child of God, your Beloved comes to you
in countless and ingenious, multifarious ways.

1 comment: