Saturday, June 25, 2016

Out of earshot

Out of earshot                                                                                          

You’ve been given enough words, said my Lord,
but in truth, I have been long content with words

measuring my appraised worth against
distant utterings and their echoes –

sound waves crashing upon an empty shore;
quotations taken always from someone else’s book.

I have sought lifelong the living among the dead,
surrounding myself like a consensus

with cardboard and paper gravestones
as I pray so touchingly, beseech so effetely

for a truth that was never there for me
or has long since fled.

So very long it has taken me to hear it –
truth doesn’t enter through the ear.

O child of God, seek the truth out of earshot –
in the cavern of your chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment