Monday, October 14, 2019

His child

His child                                                                                                     

Go into a closet to pray, advised Jesus.
O if I could lock myself in a closet

and not come out again! 
A narrow, soundproof cell,

too dark to use my eyes, nothing in reach
to afford or encourage escape,

everything at last falling away –
cleverness, confidence, obstinacy,

even faith and the last rays of hope.
Cornered and abandoned,

stripped of the extraneous,
down to the raw truth of myself,

nowhere to turn to but my Maker.
No one to be but His child.

There and then, might I be able
to articulate a closing prayer –

one that asks for nothing and receives
whatever it is, (whatever it is!) God has to give.

O child of God, it’s your worldly involvement 
that keeps you from going home.


No comments:

Post a Comment