Thursday, February 6, 2020

Being led home

Being led home

Your eloquence has left me speechless -
a dramatic pause of forty-four years!

How can I speak?  My heart is in my throat.
Even the repetition of Your name intrudes
             upon the silence between us.

Lately I've become drunk on the repetition of Your name.
Now I am less susceptible to those other intoxications:
             anger, greed and lust.

The purity of Your name draws the poison from my wounds.
O Beloved, how deep is the silence beneath the trapdoor
              of our hearts?

The silence of existence before God woke up.
Everyone is being led home by that silence -

that silence we have lost
yet carry around inside us.

O child of God, listen to the Beloved's silence
until it becomes louder than the noise of the world.

                           (from The Garden of Surrender, 2004)

No comments:

Post a Comment