Thursday, June 13, 2019

The original dust

The original dust    
                                                 
This metaphor – perhaps it will hold water:
I am a clay jug with a crack in it.

Compulsively, I pour into myself
intoxicants, refreshments, elixirs

but end up always empty and athirst,
my vessel inherently unsuitable

for containment and repletion.
Indeed, this hollowed-out jug

is a barrier to my true function,
my ultimate immersion and satiation.

Nothing on earth (say the mystics)
can permanently plug the crack.

The only cure is abstention – allow myself
to become and remain utterly dry.

Then, will my Beloved come along,
return me by His hammer to the original dust.

O child of God, let your malformed nothingness
be absorbed into His perfect everything.



No comments:

Post a Comment