Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Like the angels

Like the angels                                                                                       
 
Angels troubled the water
and left other evidence.
 
I asked you to rush me to the healing pool.
But the cure was already in my throat 
 
and the slow settling of my body
into the cradle of Your arms.     
 
Crookedness made straight;
the diseased made whole. 
 
How liberally flowed the blood and tears,
thinned by Your wine.
 
You’ve the remedy for my afflictions.
Everyone else is selling snake oil.
 
The angels were drawn to You
to the nectar of Your Essence.
 
O Beneficent One!  Our destination is unimportant –
I’m one of Your entourage now, like the angels
 
crowding the sky above Your head, rushing
to keep pace with Your long, holy strides!        
 
O child of God, you’re in good company.
Stay hard on the heels of your Beloved.
 
                              (from A Jewel in the Dust, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment