Wednesday, May 5, 2021

To be an instrument

To be an instrument                                                                                         
 
I hope to become inconsequential 
(this poetry not to the contrary). 
 
The Mystery pens it and I attach my name.
That’s all right.  No one knows who
 
this child of God is anyway, least of all me. 
After the illusion of flesh, I’ll be merely a memory
 
(to a few, soon forgotten)
and to others, a printed name.
 
The poems will linger, staunchly
in their stiff black ink, before they fade also –
 
like the final notes of an afternoon recital.
Isn’t this evanescence good and proper?
 
A restorative coda, an emphasis of silence
after a firmly spoken, heartfelt prayer.
 
O child of God, to be inconsequential
is to be an instrument in the royal orchestra.




No comments:

Post a Comment