Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Next to nothing

Next to nothing

I agreed to become Your slave.
You unsheathed a terrible sword

and began cutting me loose
from the bindings of the world.

The freer I become the more enslaved I am to You.
The chains of my fear broken,

I am ever more afraid of losing You.
Ridding me of desires, desire for union

binds me all the tighter.
Chains of desire exchanged for chains of love.

Gratitude makes for links of enormous strength.
And wearing those chains,

I float above the muck of this world.
When I become next to nothing –

a dust mote rising in Your sunlight,
I will be ready for the ultimate freedom!

How much lighter is my load already,
since my eyes first caught the glimmer of Your blade.

O child of God, become the perfect slave of the only man
          Who is perfectly free
and one day you’ll be granted the freedom beyond all bindings.

                                  (from The Garden of Surrender, 2004)


No comments:

Post a Comment