Saturday, February 18, 2012

Poultice

Poultice                                                                                             

I heard You, Silent One,
halfway around the world –

amazed to find my heart
had sprouted an ear.

Once a God-fearing man, God put on Your face. 
Now where is my fear?

I turned immediately toward home;
love, the poultice my soul required.

The best wine and the fatted calf 
for a wastrel’s return.  Who could believe it?

Those terrible scales of Justice – 
suddenly swung into balance

by the stone weight
of Your compassion.

‘It’s My Love that has drawn you here,’  You whisper. 
Tears stain the coverlet on Your tomb.

O child of God, your Beloved has declared Himself 
God in human form.  Let the chips fall where they may.


                          (from A Jewel in the Dust)

No comments:

Post a Comment