Thursday, January 10, 2019

My candled paper lantern

My candled paper lantern                                                                               
                                       
My faith is a chochin lantern                         
shaped from bamboo and paper

with past impromptu fortifications
of old shoelaces, paper clips,

thumbtacks and Scotch tape. 
It’s an easy target

for the glib and resourceful.
I rarely bring it out in public

to withstand the buffeting winds
and random crushing blows.

Not that my faith has ever been
doused or shattered by mere words.

It shines for me in such an incommunicable way –
my candled paper lantern

with its bright, fragile, flammable covering. 
It shines for me dangling afore,

offering steady, silent comfort and guidance
through this great harrowing darkness of a world.

O child of God, keep your little lantern lit
until you become a six foot blaze yourself.




No comments:

Post a Comment