Friday, March 5, 2021

Nettle tea

Nettle tea
 
The road to hell is paved with good intentions?
I’m hoping it’s the road to Paradise.
 
Ofttimes, I miss the mark but, more and more,
my intentions are to serve You.
 
My love-arrows fall short
and stab someone in the foot.
 
I spread my cape on the ground –
an elegant lady sinks up to her bloomers in mud.
 
My cup of kindness . . . often filled with nettle tea.
I’m like a man on a crowded bus –
 
reaching to help this one, I knock that one’s hat off
and poke my umbrella into someone’s ribs.
 
Turning to apologize, I wallop the entire third row,
distract the driver and cause a rear-end collision.
 
O child of God, fondly recall your Beloved’s promise
that God hears only the language of the heart.


                                    (from A Jewel in the Dust, 2011)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment