Sunday, March 8, 2020

The long road home

The long road home                                                                                    

What will it take to dislodge me
from this present way station – 

favorable weather or the threat of a flood?
A vision of heaven or its high jasper walls?

The magnanimity of divine love
or the petty tyranny of the ego?

Agony, death and despair will surely
visit me on the long road home;

pain, failure, disease – every item in fact
on the list pulled out by non-believers

to weigh and measure God must be
run through in one lifetime or another.

Not whether I avoid the travails
but whether I choose (if there is a choice)

to endure them with or without a conscious faith
before I am shunted hopelessly beyond their range,

helpless before the potential mercy
and benevolence of the Holder of the key.

O child of God, if your Father is God
there is no alternative to His manifesting will.



No comments:

Post a Comment