Friday, May 28, 2021

Puja and arti

Puja and arti                                                                                
 
I asked the way to Paradise.  You pointed
to the door I was standing in front of.
 
That door?  I asked.  It’s so near!
I thought it was at the end of a long journey.
 
That’s the door!   Wonderful to know it’s here.
Everyone’s looking for it.
 
I should go and tell the others.
That would be selfless service.
 
That sacred door!  A temple
should be erected in front of it,
 
puja and arti performed; singing
Your praises before that wonderful door.
 
You wait here.  I’ll go make a few phone calls
and get things started.
 
O child of God, you read His words again and again
and still pretend you don’t understand.


                                  (from A Jewel in the Dust, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment