Sunday, September 23, 2018

The cup

The cup    
                                                                                               
Not my will, but Thine, said Jesus in Gethsemane.
Interpreted as:  I yield my personal will to God’s.

But perhaps Jesus was saying, my will is not mine.
Or saying, my will and God’s are the same. 

Or saying, there is no will but God’s.  Never was.   
If the cup had been taken from Jesus

or He cast it down himself,
fleeing from the garden into the night

that, too, would have been God’s will.
What happens and doesn’t happen

inside and outside ourselves is always –
has always been – God’s will.

Jesus didn’t ignore himself to give God room,
He vacated the premises or perhaps

He was thrown out into the street
and found He was God.  Had always been God. 

Was nothing but.  Nothing but God from the first. 
I and my Father are one, He said. 

And He lives consciously and unconsciously
with that Reality before and ever after.

O child of God, your pen name is an apt compromise
between Who you are and who you take yourself to be.




No comments:

Post a Comment