Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Chains of gratitude

Chains of gratitude                                                                     
 
When I refused to beg the world anymore,
You heard my silence; invited me to Your table,
 
knowing how long I’d gone without sustenance.
When I lingered outside, You dispatched servants
 
with trays of food and the first taste of Your wine.
O Redeemer, how could I not
 
devote the rest of my life to You?
Enthralled by Your companionship,
 
Your bread and wine –
You slipped these shackles onto my feet;
 
these chains of gratitude.  
Merciful Redeemer, I am Your slave.
 
O child of God, hunger and thirst led you to the Beloved.
Pray your gratitude is forged by His fire into Divine Love.


                                           (from A Jewel in the Dust, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment