Thursday, August 23, 2018

An anchored pole

An anchored pole                                                         

Maybe my obsession is no more fruitful,
my esoteric compilations of no greater value,

than my great uncle Whit’s sackful of doorknobs
or that fellow out on Highway 322’s

front yard ornamentation of shiny hubcaps
and car tags from every state in the Union.

Certainly, an unbiased consensus
would find my pursuit the more futile,

pretentious, eccentric and absurd –
trying to establish a beachhead of order

amid this unrelenting chaos;
a bulwark against the looming grave;

my adversity to merely coloring, until death do us part,
between the allotted lines; a method,

a comfort, a conviction    an anchored pole
on which to tether myself

in this ever-shifting dreamscape
to which I find myself temporarily assigned.

O child of God, when everything adds up to zero,
to seek an exit is the only sensible recourse.




No comments:

Post a Comment