Wednesday, July 8, 2020

A taking away

A taking away

I wanted to find my real Self.  You whispered
that I am You.  Now I am content.

Not that my heart believes such a Truth
but I am content to listen to such whisperings from You.

Content to be Your poor excuse for a slave;
sitting at Your feet – near enough to witness

Your purity and beauty; asking for nothing;
hoping one day to become the dust at Your feet.

That dust is worth more than any of its other forms –
gold, silver, diamonds . . . this body of mine.

I can’t make it through the rigors of the Path
but to become dust – perhaps, I could do that.

A taking away rather than an achieving –
perhaps, its possible.  God only knows.

O child of God, nearness to the Lord requires loss upon loss,
until there is nothing upon which to hang your hat.

                                          (from The Garden of Surrender, 2004)

No comments:

Post a Comment