Thursday, March 5, 2020

Chipping away

Chipping away

I repeat Your holy name –
like chipping a hole in the wall of my cell.

One day, a light will break through.
Much later, I’ll squeeze through myself.

In the meantime, Lord, keep chipping away at me.
The smaller I become, the sooner my escape.

No baggage on this flight!
Nakedness is required to slip through that portal.

But like a true child of Adam,
I’m ashamed of my nakedness.

I should give away all I own
but, Lord, I’m not that magnanimous!

I’m like the monkey who can’t free its hand from the snare –
it won’t loosen its grip on the prize.

O child of God, repeat His name; chip away at the wall.
It’s a sham – like everything else in this prison of illusion.

                                         (from The Garden of Surrender, 2004)

No comments:

Post a Comment