Wednesday, July 22, 2020

A jewel in the safe

A jewel in the safe

The poets among us praise the beauty of Your eyes.
I once, for a brief moment, gazed into those eyes.

What I found was Truth beyond beauty.
O Meher, You did not tell me the Truth!

It was there in Your eyes – beyond faith or doubt.
You did not tell me the Truth – You gave it to me –

wordlessly, hands quiescent at Your side.
No teachings, nothing to learn.

Or shall I say it this way:  With those elegant hands
You pulled Truth from my chest;

held it before me in open palms, then put it back
like a jewel returned to a safe in the wall.

It’s still there, though deeply buried, reminding me
of the moments spent with You in Eternity.

O child of God, lover and Beloved; inside and out;
          give and receive; faith and doubt –
these words have no meaning when Truth appears at the door.

                                  (from The Garden of Surrender, 2004)

No comments:

Post a Comment