Friday, April 24, 2020

A life edgeways

A life edgeways                                                                                          

I’ve never had much to do with today
(where You say all the action is)

always barreling through to tomorrow
or sifting through yesterday’s ashes.

So when have I ever had time
to fit in a life edgeways?

Never had much to do with
where You say the opportunity is,

too unsettled to function easily within it. 
You keep calling me back, though, to explore

the here-and-now God and let go of everything else –
even the components of my present moments,

staring at the puzzle before my eyes until I make out
the one Reality You say is hidden among the extraneous;

extricate God and myself from the very idea
of Him and me and just who in the world we really are.

O child of God, when you look for God
(said Rumi), God is in the look of your eyes.


No comments:

Post a Comment