Sunday, December 27, 2020

Lofty and forlorn

Lofty and forlorn                                                                            
 
I’m utterly lost.  Why am I still looking for shortcuts?
I don’t know where I’m going or where I’ve been,
 
but You’ve walked out to greet me,
leaving the gate unlatched.
 
These roads are lofty and forlorn;
the way to Your gate, narrow and winding.
 
I quake and quaver when I hear only my voice
echoing through these empty hills.
 
You are my sole confidant.  Where I end up;
what happens along the way, is Your responsibility now.
 
Perhaps, this is where love begins –
on the side of a mountain –
 
or accumulates along the way,
as we ascend, my Beloved and I.
 
O child of God, the path unfolds directly before you.
Be concerned only where you next place your foot.


                                    (from A Jewel in the Dust, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment