Monday, October 23, 2017

The one gauge

The one gauge                                                                                        

Just love Me, my Lord said.
Perhaps His only request.

Love for love’s sake – without hope
of gain, advantage or favor. 

There is a dearth in my heart of such love.
And fear growing rank. 

The best I might give, Lord, is gratitude
which I have come by honestly –

in response to Your kindness. 
Gratitude for the life I’ve led

and for the life You led. 
Gratitude for a family and my imperfect love

for all their human beauty.
And gratitude especially for You, Lord,

being indeed my only source of truth,
however ill at times I receive it,

the one gauge in this troubled dreamscape
I trust and cling to, without which

I would have long ago become untethered,
alone, overwhelmed and lost.

O child of God, not knowing what love is,
how can you judge your lack of it?




No comments:

Post a Comment