Friday, April 10, 2020

A Bob Brown melody

A Bob Brown melody

The plane descends into a wet Maharashtrian night.
God help me, I’m in Your territory again.

How lovely to embrace old friends
and garland the stones of the ones gone on.

The earth is a lighter place, spinning faster,
since those pure doves took flight.

Tonight, my heart’s fire rages;
is that You, Beloved, dancing among the flames?

Intoxicated by Your voice,
I’ll praise You with Your own words.

My words are beginning to slur.
Maybe I should just hum an old Bob Brown melody.

O child of God, when words fail, praise Him with your eyes,
          your improbable dancing body;
allow your heart an improvisation on His silent, holy hymn.

                                      (from The Garden of Surrender, 2004)

No comments:

Post a Comment