Saturday, February 15, 2014

The evergreen shore

The evergreen shore                                                                              

When the ice got thin, I stretched out flat –
distributing my weight, panicked and motionless,

so I was prostrate when You appeared,
a bright flame on the opposite bank.

I began to hope – though You’d lobbied against it.
I began to learn – though You ‘d not come for that.

I began to trust – though You discouraged complacency.
I began to awaken – though You remained silent as a Tomb. 

After much spent patience, subtle doting and cajoling,
I began sliding along on my belly and lately,

the arduous climb to my feet,
the risking of everything

to get nearer to You, that beckoning flame
on the evergreen shore.

O child of God, Peter walked on water
with Jesus there to strengthen his faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment