Sunday, May 24, 2020

Useless braying

Useless braying

How loquacious I have become since I found out God is an Ear.
But my voice resembles a braying mule.

This world is but a dream (You say) – let me dream I awaken,
lying in a ghadi at the foot of Your throne.

The repetition of Your name is a bell sounding
in a distant temple – a call to prayer.

Let me answer with all my strength, until I disappear
within the language of my own poetic renderings.

Let my eloquence turn Your head, Lord, that I might see
the curve of Your cheek, the shape of Your brow.

My prayer today is for my heart to become my throat and mouth
and give forth the sublime music worthy of Your audience.

O child of God, words are useless braying unless they draw
you nearer to Him.  Nothing matters but the Connection.

                                             (from The Garden of Surrender, 2004)

No comments:

Post a Comment