Friday, December 11, 2020

Making a living

Making a living                                                                                          
 
I was once a working man, hands strong,
calloused from the rub of making a living.
 
Also grown thick, toughened up –
my heartskin within its cavern and cage,
 
leathery from the world’s rough handling.
My hands today are soft as a baby’s –
 
clean, idle, while my heart is daily
more tender and sore as it emerges
 
from its enclosure, more willing
to take in the ache of flesh and world
 
as it suits my Lord’s will – a blessed penance
and the required estrangement from self
 
on the long journey through and beyond
this clamorous Illusion to that hidden Sanctuary.
 
O child of God, retire from the world
and open your heart to the eternal.




No comments:

Post a Comment