Thursday, September 24, 2020

God happens

God happens                                                                                             
 
If I try to explain myself, I indulge us both
in the notion that we each determine who we are
 
and in the persistent idea that we exist
apart from God and from each other.
 
Instead of explanations, let me just say: 
God happens and I am moving along with Him.
 
The parade is going by and I push my way
to the front to get a better view
 
of myself as a sheriff on horseback
or a high school kid pounding a bass drum,
 
or the twirler of a baton, maybe Jesus
on the cross of a church float.
 
What explanation then will you accept
for the identities you and I take ourselves to be?
 
O child of God, the world offers the illusion of stasis.
Oneness is an ocean in a constant state of flux.

No comments:

Post a Comment