Saturday, March 23, 2019

This dewy morning

This dewy morning                                                                                

A green trail left in the morning dew 
where I have walked to the newly turned garden.

No point in asking where the dew
will be later on in the day

nor where it was the crisp cold evening last.
That’s all being taken care of by someone else.

I bend to work the hoe in dew-drenched hands,
till the dewy soil, strike with the blade

the occasional dew-like, hidden pebbles.
I anticipate a succulent harvest a few months hence,

fitting myself as best I might into this small patch
of the universal scheme, accepting whatever the price

and stipulations of its brief sustenance and bounty.
Everything else is being taken care of by someone else.

O child of God, surrender is a quiet thing,
begun every sunrise in humble, laboring silence.



No comments:

Post a Comment