Friday, November 10, 2017

A regarding of the cup

A regarding of the cup                                                                                

Unlike the subject in the parable, making his one-pointed way
under the king’s order and not spilling a drop from his cup –

there is no blade threatening my back.  It’s a different try
when the sword is abstract and everyday – the milk hither

and yon spilt constantly from the neglected cup
yet yielding no attributable dire effect;

the world whispering in my ear the whole long trek
like Satan in the garden. When the king’s order

is just so many words among the cacophony,
my own figure estranged and timorous,

then the (God-given) sword of faith
must meet the purpose, held not to my back

but to my own throat for the suitable vigilance
of my try at constancy and devotion.  

O child of God, a circumspect regarding of the cup,
the Masters say, leads from communion to Union.


No comments:

Post a Comment