Monday, July 27, 2020

Unimaginable grace

Unimaginable grace

O Lord, this ramshackle structure
into which I’ve settled –

it’s not plumb, level or square. 
Rain drips from the rafters;

thunder rattles the windows; cold winds
force their way through every crack.

I work feverishly to patch and repair,
rushing here and there – and wind up

exhausted among the catastrophes.
But, it’s my home – my shelter.  I built it. 

I own it, every board, shingle, stud and beam.
I nailed it together; poured the foundation

that is sinking now into the mire.
From these clouded windows, I look out

upon this inhospitable world.
Through these walls, I hear the cries

and laughter of my faceless neighbors.
O Meher, blessed was that spring morning

I first heard Your flute playing in the street!
With Your lovely melodies now, You try to coax me out.

Too frightened to move, I watch You, enraptured –
wondering what unimaginable grace brought You
          to my window.

O child of God, abandon that tumbledown shack
and flee to the true shelter of the Flute-player’s arms.

                                    (from The Garden of Surrender, 2004)

No comments:

Post a Comment